1982 Southern Cross 35 Cutter
Lucky Stars is a well designed, well built, factory finished Southern Cross 35. She is hull #5 built in Rhode Island by CE Ryder. Her current owners of 13 years are the second owners and have kept her in very good condition. Her first owner was Rodney Glover, contributing author for Cruising World and Sail Magazines.
As configured, she is easily single-handed and her smart and sensible layout is perfect for a cruising couple. Her canoe stern, solid displacement and generous bow sheer makes for a dry and very comfortable sea motion. Tom Gilmer, the venerable naval acrchitect in Annapolis, designed her as a blue water ocean passage maker with respectable upwind performance capability.
- Southern Cross
- 35 Cutter
- Melbourne, FL, US
- Available for sale in U.S. waters:
- Vessel Name:
- Lucky Stars
- Boat Type:
- Hull Material:
- Hull Type:
- Hull Color:
- Flag of Registry:
Dimensions & Weight
- 35 ft - 10.67 meter
- Draft - max:
- Bridge Clearance:
- Dry Weight:
- Cruise Speed:
- Joystick Control:
- Engine Type:
- Drive Type:
- Fuel Type:
- Max Speed:
LOA: 35 ft 3 in
Beam: 11 ft 5 in
LWL: 28 ft 0 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 11 in
Displacement: 17710 lbs
Ballast: 5750 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 49 ft 0 in
Builder: CE RYDER
Designer: Tom Gilmer
Hull: FRP, Awlcraft 2000 Aristo Blue / Federal yellow boot stripe
Engine Brand: Universal
Engine Model: 2434
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1624
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Engine(s) Total Power: 24 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 (45 Gallons each)
Fuel Tank: (35 Gallons) Fiberglass w/inspection port
Holding Tank: (25 Gallons)
Lucky Stars has a classic yacht layout with interior of white oak and teak. The interior has a lovely fit and finish, not found in newer production yachts and has 6’1.5” headroom. The upholstery is dark blue Ultrasuede fabric. Interior lighting has dual modes - clear or red for night vision.
V-berths forward in well ventilated cabin via an overhead hatch and opening port. Large storage areas are above and outboard. A hanging locker is aft of the starboard berth, followed by a privacy door.
A second hanging locker is to starboard in the forward part of the main salon. The salon has opposing settees with a drop leaf table on center-line with built in storage compartment. Both settees can be used as single pilot berths with built in lee cloths or pulled out to form double berths
The galley is to starboard at the base of the companionway, it is u-shaped and comfortable to work in offshore. It is equipped with a Force 10 two burner CNG stove/oven with remote fuel shutoff, icebox, Frigoboat holding plate 12v refrigeration, microwave, manual fresh and salt water foot pumps and hot/cold pressure water. Deep double stainless sinks near the centerline and gimbaled stove with safety bar across make for easy use underway. Lots of storage outboard and in a swing-out cupboard from under the galley work surface.
A large dedicated navigation station and chart table with storage is to port and aft facing with a large hanging locker to lean against forward.
The head has a sink with hot/cold pressure water, manual fresh water foot pump, Raritan PH toilet with all new head hoses and holding tank. The head compartment also has a beautiful oak ceiling, shatter proof mirror and a fiberglass shower pan and teak grating with drain and automatic sump pump overboard.
The cockpit is spacious with 2 very large lazerettes for storage and easy engine room access. A smaller lazerette under the helmsman seat is perfect for storing docklines and other accessories. Fresh water cockpit shower system is great for rinsing off after a swim and there is a sturdy teak cockpit table and drink holder. The midship permanently mounted folding boarding ladder is easily deployed and stowed and comes with a small custom made swim platform that is great for one person to sit on at the waterline. The location of the boarding ladder away from the transom makes for much easier use in a rolling anchorage.
Captains Navy Sunbrella dodger, bimini, aft shade, aft pulpit weather cloth configured for an outboard motor mount and BBQ, awning connector between bimini and dodger, side shades on awning. Sunbrella covers for hatches, companionway, winches, clutches, handrails and mast base.
Custom cockpit C-Cushions with tall helmsman cushion.
North main sail in very good condition with Dutchman flaking system, 2 reef points and upper sail battens. Staysail on self tending boom / deck track. 120% Profurl roller furling genoa.
- •New Schafer genoa foot (turning) blocks (2003)
- New Schaefer genoa sail tracks (2007)
- North full batten Mainsail with 2 reef points (2000) Very good
- Dutchman mainsail Flaking System
- North roller furling 120% genoa (2000) good
- Hood Staysail
- Staysail track, track car and staysail cheek block replaced (2003)
- ProFurl Roller Furling Headsail (UV cover re-stitched 2012)
- NAVTEC Rod Rigging
- NAVTEC inboard chain plates
- Barient 2 speed #28 Self Tail Primaries
- Barient 2 speed #19 Self Tail Halyard winches
- All running rigging led to cockpit
- Custom built mast step raised 1.5 inches on an epoxy fiberglass pad to keep mast base out of contact with any bilge moisture.
- •Dedicated nav station
- Large double Vee berth forward (78")
- Spacious saloon with port and starboard settees (73" length). Both settees can be used as two, single pilot berths with built in lee cloths or pulled out to form two double berths
- Drop leaf dining table with storage compartment
- Hanging lockers and plenty of storage
- Oak tambour sliding door storage cabinets
- 2 very large cockpit lazarettes and one small one available for storage
- Dual mode interior lighting clear or red (night vision)
- Bronze ports
- Holding plate 12v refrigeration (2005)
- Spacious cockpit with main sheet traveler at wheel and self tending staysail for shorthanded sailing
- Swim boarding ladder with custom made “mini” swim platform
- Two large stainless steel dorade vents
- Wide side decks with inboard rigging stays allowing tight sheeting angles with great upwind sailing performance
- Cockpit fresh water shower system
- Teak cockpit table and binnacle mounted drink holder
- Clock and barometer
Hull and Deck
The canoe stern design makes this a great blue water sailing boat! Lucky Stars has an Awlcraft 2000 "Aristo Blue" hull, made of FRP, with AIREX core.
- All seacocks replaced with new bronze flush mount Spartan Marine seacocks and flanges (2004 and 2012). Flush mount through hulls give a very smooth bottom with no drag. Hull surrounding all seacocks was de-cored and epoxy filled.
- New stern tube and cutlass bearing (2006)
- New rudder shaft bushing (2004)
- Bottom is blister free and likely the smoothest you will see. Gelcoat was professionally peeled by Cape Marina, dried and fiberglass cloth/epoxy coated with West System 404/406, and 5 coats of Interlux Interprotect 2000E barrier coat system (2004).
- Bottom job, Trinidad 75 (2012)
- All deck hardware and hatches removed, mounting holes de-cored to one inch diameter, epoxy filled, re-drilled and re-bedded (2003--2008). No leaks or core rot on this boat.
- New lifeline stanchion bases (2006-2008)
- New Lewmar D2 rope clutches (2003)
- Bronze Spartan Marine 10.5 inch Midship cleats (2006)
- SeaTiger 555 Manual Windlass with Gypsy (dismounted, new gaskets, new lubricant, painted, re-installed 2006)
- Double Anchor Roller
- 45 lb CQR with 130' 3/8 BBB chain and 110' 5/8 rope
- 35 lb Bruce with 40' 3/8 BBB chain and 100' 5/8 rope.
- Spare anchor rode 16' 3/8 BBB chain and 75' 5/8 rope.
- Outboard engine lift helper strut built into aft pulpit
- Stern pulpit weather cloth configured for outboard engine mount and BBQ ( but new outboard engine mount and BBQ are needed )
- Sunbrella dodger, bimini, aft shade, aft pulpit weather cloth, awning connector between bimini and dodger, side shades on awning
- Sunbrella covers for hatches, companionway, winches, clutches, and handrails
- Custom teak helmsman cockpit grate
- Custom cockpit C-Cushions with tall helmsman seat
- Edson pedestal steering with emergency tiller (new pins and bushings 2003)
- All exterior teak stripped, cleaned, re-coated with Cetol Natural (2013)
- Dinghy davits included (not installed) that need some custom stainless welding before install can be completed.
- All maintenance records available
Engine and Mechanical
- Universal Diesel Model 5424
- Racor fuel filter
- One inch stainless steel shaft
- New engine mounts (2000)
- New Transmission, damper plate and oil cooler (2004)
- Alternator regulator, Balmar Maxcharge 612 smart regulator with temperature sensors for batteries and alternator (2003). Backup spare regulator left in place.
- TidesMarine SureShaft Seal Dripless Stuffing Box (2006)
- Fixed 3-blade bronze prop on 1 inch stainless shaft
- New starter (2006)
- New ignition switch (2006)
- New heat exchanger (2012), spare heat exchanger included
- New exhaust riser and water injection elbow (2012)
- Perko engine raw water strainer new seals and gaskets (2012)
- New engine raw water pump (2012)
- 6 inch diameter access plates for fuel and water tanks (2003)
- Par electric Diaphram Bilge Pump (2007) and Whale MK II Gusher Manual bilge pump
- Engine room ventilation blower (2003)
- Halon automatic fire extinguisher in engine room
- Fuel consumption estimated at: <0.5g/hr @ 2200RPMs
Electrical and Electronic
- •Two Navico Autopilots WP5000 (one spare unit included)
- Signet Marine Knotlog and Depth Sounder (both factory re-built 2013)
- Aqua Signal tri color mast head light
- Two Trimble Navigation NAVTREC XL GPS (one spare unit included)
- Furuno Navtex NX300 Receiver (2003)
- Clarion stereo system/6disc CD changer with cockpit and main salon speakers
- Sirius Satellite Radio
- Raytheon Ray 80 VHF and Standard Handheld VHF
- Illuminated 5” Ritchie Compass
- 4 New Group 27 Deep Cycle Marine Batteries (2013)
- 30 AMP Shore power inlet with 50ft cord
- Balmar 75 AMP Alternator and Balmar Smart Electronic Voltage Regulator (2003)
- Newmar 40AMP Automatic Smart Charger (2000)
- Port A Watt 600 W dc/ac converter
Lucky Stars has a smart galley design for making meals at sea!
- Frigobote Holding Plate Refrigeration system (2005)
- Force 10 2-Burner stove with oven (CNG with spare tanks)
- Stainless centerline double sink
- Pressure water system
- Balmer 6 gallon stainless steel Hot Water Tank
- Origo Microwave
- New manual fresh water foot pump (2013)
- New manual saltwater foot pump (2013)
- New teak galley floor (2013)
- 8 place setting Corelle dinnerware included
- •Shower with automatic sump pump (overboard)
- Hot and Cold Pressurized Water
- Stainless Sink
- Raritan PH Head
- All new head hoses (never used) (2013)
- New Manual fresh water foot pump (2013)
Deck and Other Equipment
- Spares, parts and hardware
- USCG required safety gear
Owners' personal books, tools, clothing, art, manual navigational instruments if any, and 6 interior throw cushions are excluded from the sale.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Southern Cross 35 Cutter
Kevin Welsh 8 Listing(s)
QUICK SEARCH BY:
1988 Carver 4207Rio Dulce, GT $85,000
1999 Sea Ray 450 Express BridgeCocoa, FL, US $145,000
1987 Hatteras 63 Cockpit MotoryachtPensacola, FL, US $345,000
2011 Regal 42 Sport CoupeAventura, FL, US $279,900
1984 Garcia Nouanni PassoaPort Canaveral, FL, US $199,900
2019 Monachus Issa 45Fort Lauderdale, FL, US $549,900